First of the Gang to Die

Sunday, June 19, 2005

 
CHAPTER ONE: Revealing

The first time I met Vanessa Dennis was at her son's funeral.

She slapped me and told me I killed her son.

Truth is, I had nothing to do with Alex's death, but she didn't know that. She only knew me as her son's lover. The guy he was living with when he first told her he had contracted AIDS. She didn't bother to ask him who or where. She just assumed I was the one who gave it to him.

I'm HIV negative, by the way. I could show her documentation upon documentation to prove this, for all the good it would do. She still believes I am responsible.

Right now, I dont have the heart to tell her otherwise.

How do you tell someone her innocent angel faced boy was neither innocent or angelic. At what point do you sit down and tell someone, "Your son was very promiscuous, both before and after I met him?"

You don't. Especially not at his funeral.

Vanessa was sitting at the front of the church when I walked in. I had been stuck in traffic and arrived late. I had also sat in the car about 10 minutes, working up the nerve to go inside. No one inside knew me, much less what I was to Alex. Everyone knew Alex had a roommate, but I was never introduced as anything more than that, and I never met his mother.

Imagine that. 4 years together, and I had never met anyone in his family. Not even his distant cousin. I was the faceless roommate he had mentioned in passing to his mother over the phone or over coffee.

Vanessa knew, though. She denies it, but she always knew who I was. She knew Alex and I were in love. I know she did. Sometimes it's just easier to deny existance, rather than accept.

I don't blame her for that. I did the same thing when Alex was fucking around on me. Instead of confronting the situation, I lied to myself and others. Pretended it wasn't happening. It was easier than admitting the truth.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Archives

June 2005   July 2005  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?