First of the Gang to Die

Sunday, June 19, 2005

 
Chapter two: Telling Me

Alex tested positive for HIV a year and a half ago. I came home from work and he was sitting on the couch, crying, holding the phone in his hand. Whoever was on the other end had hung up a while ago, as the phone was making that awful "off the hook" sound. It echoed throught the living room, mixing with the sound of Alex's sobbing.

"Baby," I said. "Alex, what is it? Why're you crying?"

He told me. He point blank told me. I didn't cry. I didn't even yell. I really don't recall feeling anything at all. A wall of...void... fell over me. I held him as he cried. We sat in the dark all night as he cried. He had fallen asleep in my lap. I sat there in the silent void and stroked his dark blonde hair.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Archives

June 2005   July 2005  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?